Everyone knows sometimes you just need a little something sweet, like NOW. There’s no time to put together a boxed brownie and wait for it in the oven, we need dessert! That’s why we created the best dense and fudgy keto mug brownie that’s gluten free and ready in under 5 minutes.
Gluten Free Brownie in a mug
If you are gluten intolerant or just watching your overall carb intake, this is going to be the recipe for you. The only “flours” you will need are coconut flour and cocoa powder. We chose to use coconut flour instead of almond flour because we feel it has a better overall texture in this recipe. Plus a keto mug brownie would require close to a 1/4 of almond flour which may cause gas and bloating from all the nuts.
Benefits to Avoiding Gluten
Gluten has been known to cause a lot of stomach and gut distress as well as inflammation. More people than you would think are gluten intolerant and have problems processing this grain. A big benefit to keto is the reduction in inflammation by cutting out gluten(1). Gluten can also damage your intestines making the absorption of nutrients more difficult(2). If you aren’t sure what benefits come with avoiding gluten, hopefully you now know!
FREE PRINTABLE: Keto Food List
Join 150,000 others to get a FREE keto food list and new recipes every week!
A Keto Mug Cake That’s Nut-Free
If you have a nut allergy you have to try this chocolate brownie mug cake. A base of coconut flour means you don’t have to fret over nuts or almond flour filling your dessert. Most often mug cake recipes call for almond flour, but we know what it’s like to be avoiding or limiting nuts and wanted to have a nut-free option. If you aren’t nut-free you can make this keto mug brownie with a spoonful of almond butter or peanut butter inside for extra fun.
Can I Make a Dairy Free Keto Mug Brownie?
Our low carb recipes are always formulated to have the best taste and texture possible. That being said, changing any one ingredient may cause a change in taste or texture. If you want to make your low carb keto mug brownie dairy free you will have to sub the butter and cream for different ingredients. To do this you can:
- Sub butter for coconut oil. Coconut oil is a great vegan alternative to butter that won’t really alter the taste or texture. If you don’t have coconut oil you can try 2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin. The canned pumpkin should be sugar free and gluten free. Aka plain canned pumpkin NOT pumpkin pie mix.
- Sub cream for dairy free yoghurt or coconut cream. These will both work well to replace the thick heavy cream. You want to make sure the dairy free yoghurt macros are low carb keto friendly and that it is fatty enough. If the yoghurt is too thin it may not have enough fat to keep the low carb mug cake brownie moist. In this case just add a second egg yolk with the yoghurt to help with texture.
Subbing the butter and cream isn’t recommended, but it is possible. You can always try vegan or dairy free products we just try to avoid them because of the lower quality ingredients. When in doubt just keep your keto brownie low in net carbs.
The Best Sugar Free Keto Mug Brownie
This keto brownie in a mug is the perfect low carb and sugar free treat to enjoy after dinner. You can top it with everything from chocolate chips to keto ice cream. We save you the carbs and calories by making this chocolate mug cake brownie with sugar free sweetener. The sweetener we used was granular erythritol because it is low in net carbs and gluten free. Any granular keto sweetener should work so long as it’s low in net carbs. Some other options include:
- Granulated Monk Fruit– Monk fruit in its purest form is usually found in a bottle. Liquid monk fruit can be a bit expensive so brands will often make a granular version instead that’s bulked with erythritol. This is still a great low carb sweetener option.
- Granulated Allulose– Allulose is a newer low carb sweetener that is found in many keto products at the store. It’s not technically a sugar alcohol, but is still subtract-able from the total carbs.
- Liquid Stevia– Stevia is a great option if you want a low carb mug cake brownie that doesn’t have any artificial sweeteners. We normally use 10-15 drops, but feel free to play it by taste preference.
Enjoy your keto mug brownie without all the sugar and almond flour. Making this keto mug brownie without sugar means you can use more toppings like freshly whipped cream and chocolate chips.
How to Make A Keto Mug Brownie
Now that it’s time to get baking we can start preparing the mug brownie. Get out your microwave safe mug and let’s begin.
For this mug brownie you will need Unsweetened Cocoa Powder and Coconut flour as the base flours. You will also need baking powder (baking powder not baking soda), granular sweetener, salt, and heavy cream. Both heavy cream and egg yolks are going to provide fat to make the brownie moist. Finally you will need butter (you can melt the butter in your mug) and 90% dark chocolate.
Preparing a Keto Mug Brownie
To begin making your mug brownie recipe combine and mix the dry ingredients in a mug.
Then add the wet ingredients continuing to whisk until combined.
Once the brownie recipe is evenly mixed add your chopped chocolate on top. Microwave the mug cake for 50-70 seconds, depending on the power of your microwave. I love a really fudgy brownie so i’ll often make the recipe a bit underdone. That’s about 50-60 seconds. Give the brownie a chance to cool before eating it. Then go crazy with the toppings!
How to top Your Low Carb Mug Brownie
Topping a chocolate brownie really depends on the person. Some love just whipped cream or fresh vanilla ice cream, and others like every topping under the sun. What you top with is up to you, but some of our personal topping favorites are:
- Ice Cream– When kept keto ice cream is a great low carb topping perfect for warm mug brownies. Try a classic vanilla bean or get fancy with butter pecan.
- Whipped Cream– I love whipped cream, especially the fresh stuff. You can easily make a keto whipped cream with fresh heavy cream and erythritol whipped together in a stand mixer. It’s simple, light, and pairs perfectly with a rich keto brownie mug cake.
- Nut Butters– Nut butter can quickly elevate mug brownies by turning them into Reeces style brownie cups. Try peanut butter for a Reeces cup or almond butter for a more natural flavored approach.
- Chocolate Chips– Are mug brownies are always topped with chopped chocolate, but that doesn’t mean you can’t add some extra sugarless chips too. We love Lily’s chocolate chips because the chocolate is smooth and taste just like regular chips.
- Nuts– Whatever type of nut you choose will add a nice crunch to our soft and fudgy mug brownies.
Toppings are the best part of all keto recipes so don’t be afraid to get heavy handed. Add a little bit of everything next time and do exactly what your heart desires!
More Keto Desserts
The next time you want to try new keto recipes check out some of these delicious desserts. Our favorites are:
- Easy Keto Peanut Butter Fudge– All you need is a few simple ingredients and 10 minutes to make this delicious keto fudge. We love this recipe and know you will too!
- Dairy Free Keto Hot Chocolate– This dairy free hot chocolate is made with both chocolate and cocoa powder unlike most keto recipes. Plus, it has hints of real vanilla extract that sit subtlety behind the dark chocolate flavor. Using real dark chocolate helps to create an ultra smooth and creamy coconut milk cocoa.
- Dark Chocolate Keto Mug Cake– This gluten free chocolate mug cake is made with unsweetened cocoa powder and vanilla extract. It’s a single serving treat that’s perfect for those who love mug cakes. Just make sure to make this recipe with extra chocolate to cure those chocolate cravings!
- Keto Peanut Butter and Jam Mug Cake– One last mug cake because we know you love them just as much as we do! It takes just one minute in the microwave before you have a great recipe that’s sure to impress. Make sure to mix well and enjoy it with some fresh whipping cream!
We love desserts and certainly don’t discriminate on the type! Almond milk, unsweetened cocoa powder, almond butter whatever ingredients you have, we’ve got a dessert with it. So get creative and start baking.
Keto Mug Brownie
This is one of the best mug brownie recipes out there. Not only is it free from soy and sugar, but it’s also low carb and gluten free. It’s a staple recipe for anyone with a sweet tooth who wants to enjoy a treat each evening without overdoing it on the carbs. Enjoy this recipe and let us know what you think below!
Keto Mug Brownie
What You Need:
- Coffee Mug
- In a microwave safe mug, mix in all the dry ingredients.
- Add the wet ingredients and whisk until combined.
- Add the chopped chocolate on top.
- Microwave for 50-70 seconds, depending on the power of your microwave. I like the brownie to be extra fudgy and slightly underdone, so I cooked mine to 60 seconds. Allow brownie to cool a few minutes before eating. Its is best eaten warm.