Being of indian descent, you might think creating a Low Carb Naan recipe would come a bit more easier to me than most, but it didn’t. It took me a while to really figure out what flours and fibers worked best together. Understanding what each flour does when cooked is key. And, in this case, knowing coconut flour and psyllium husk powder would create a pliable naan like bread is what led me to this Low Carb Naan recipe. Since I discovered how to make these I’ve always made sure some are always in the fridge for us to snack on or make sandwiches out of!
Your naan doesn’t have to be garlic-y, but being that it is one of our favorite flavors and ingredients to work with we decided we wanted to make garlic naan. We tried refrigerated minced garlic, but found that it is not strong enough of a flavor to come through. We next used minced up raw garlic cloves and tossed it into the naan dough before cooking. Worked like a charm! The more you add the more garlic-y it will be. You can even top the warm naan with a garlic butter!
As you can see from the ingredients listed below, the recipe is fairly simple, and they are extremely quick to make. We suggest letting the dough sit for 15 minutes prior to forming your naans, but if you really are in a rush you can skip that part and go right to the naan making and devouring. Something to note is that it’s not possible to mess this recipe up. If it’s too dry, add water. If it’s too wet, add psyllium husk powder.
Low Carb Naan
This recipe is by far both of our favorite bread recipe of all the ones we’ve made, even more so than our Best Keto Bread recipe. It uses a great source of fiber, which is always a good addition to anyones diet. Fiber has been shown to help you stay fuller longer. And, they are pliable making them great for use as a tortilla or wrap. But, if you’re like Matt and more of a roll guy you should give our Low Carb Rolls a try which also utilize psyllium husk powder. Now, go and order some butter chicken take-out from your favorite indian restaurant and make yourself some Low Carb Naan to go along with it!
Recipe can be quickly added to MyFitnessPal – Search “KetoConnect – Low Carb Naan”
Low Carb Naan
- NOTE: We made 6 naan out of our dough for 2 servings. 3 naan per serving.
- Combine the coconut flour, psyillium husk powder, baking powder, salt and coconut oil. Add the minced garlic to the mixture.
- Add 1 cup of hot water to start and combine. Add more hot water if needed. If the consistency is too wet add more psyllium husk powder
- Knead with your hands for a minute and let it sit in a bowl for 15 minutes.
- Pull apart the dough into as big or as little balls as you'd like and roll out using some parchment paper and a rolling pin.
- Heat a skillet to medium heat and add a naan to the heated skillet. Flip after a couple minutes (it will be brown on the other side), and cook until browned on both sides.
- Tip: If the naan starts to puff up, you know its done!
- Complete until all naans are cooked and enjoy!