What is it about gyros that make them so addictive? Is it the thick, fluffy bread, perfectly seasoned meat or the light and refreshing toppings? Whatever it is all I know is that we need a keto version so I can relive my college lunch days! These Healthy Gyros have the bread, meat and refreshing toppings so you don’t have to miss out on your favorite Greek food.
Take Out Favorites!
A long week or work and polished off meal prep calls for take out, right? Wrong! Don’t sabotage yourself by falling into the #weekendvibes cycle by ordering take-out. Instead, remake your favorite take out meals at home keto style. We’ve got some of your favorites on our food blog:
- Keto Pizza
- Keto Butter Chicken (serve alongside the naan in this recipe)
- Easy Cashew Chicken
- Low Carb Shrimp Scampi
Easy Keto Pita
One of our favorite take outs has always been Indian food, but if you’ve ever had Indian food you know that it is a very heavy rice and bread heavy cuisine. Chicken tikka masala and lamb curry are our go-tos when ordering Indian takeout, but eating them with a spoon just doesn’t cut it. So we always make cauliflower rice and keto naan to serve alongside.
FREE PRINTABLE: Keto Food List
Join 150,000 others to get a FREE keto food list and new recipes every week!
The keto naan is an easy three ingredient recipe and works great for this healthy gyro recipe. You won’t even be able to tell the difference!
Before making this healthy gyro recipe I thought the way the meat was seasoned was complex and would be difficult to replicate. Little did I know that it’s super simple and can be easily made at home!
The secret ingredient is lemon juice. The acidity of the lemon penetrates the meat allowing it to not only tenderize, but absorb the salt, pepper and oil that makes up the rest of the marinade. Now you know that any great marinade should include an acid, whether it be lemon juice or apple cider vinegar, and even this article says so!
Must Have Toppings
For me, the fresh toppings is what really makes this one of my favorite meals! While a tzatziki sauce is easy to make at home, there are several store bought versions that have great macros and ingredients!
Having the fatty tzatziki sauce combined with some crunch and freshness from cut up veggies elevates the dense and hearty meat and naan portions of this dish.
Make Some Healthy Gyros Tonight!
Surely you have some meat in the freezer you can thaw and some fresh veggies in the fridge that need to be used up. If so, you’ve basically got all you need to make some healthy gyros for dinner tonight because lets be honest, the pita portion is totally optional and the meat is the best part!
What You Need:
- 1 small roma tomato, diced
- 4 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup lettuce, chopped
- 1/4 cup store bought tzatziki sauce
- Combine the steak and marinade ingredients in a large zip top gallon bag and shake until steak is fully coated in marinade.
- Refrigerate for 1-4 hours. The longer it marinades the more flavorful the meat will be.
- Make the naan according to the blog post while the steak marinades and then allow to cool on a cooling rack so they don't become soggy.
- Once the steak is marinated, heat a large skillet to medium high heat.
- Add the steak to the skillet and sear on both sides for 2-3 minutes until fully cooked through.
- If you are using a large cut of meat (ours was already 1/2 inch) you can finish off the steak in the oven at 400°F for 5-7 minutes.
- Once cooked through, allow the steak to cool on a cutting board for 10 minutes prior to slicing.
- Once sliced top each piece of naan with a quarter of the meat along with some of each topping.
- Serve immediately.