How to Make Bulletproof Coffee (Video) | Keto Coffee
If this is your first time hearing about Bulletproof coffee, then you’re in for a real treat. There’s not a recipe on our entire keto diet food blog that Megha and I make more often than this one. Some people call it keto coffee, fatty coffee, butter coffee etc. You get the picture! I’m probably a bigger fan of it than Megha, but we both love starting our day with a nice big cup of Bulletproof Coffee.
Before we get into the specifics I have to give credit to the creator of this dynamic concoction Dave Asprey. He’s created a whole brand around this stuff and his site is worth checking out for more info. If you’re a visual learner you can check out the video below of me making a cup of frothy Bulletproof coffee.
What is Bulletproof Coffee?
So, what is Bulletproof coffee? In it’s purist form, it is a combination of butter, coconut oil OR MCT oil and coffee. In recent years, it has devolved into basically being any kind of coffee with lots of fat blended into from a variety of sources like:
- Heavy cream
- Coconut milk
The original, and in my opinion, the best version of Bulletproof coffee is two parts butter to one part MCT oil. I find it unnecessary to get too concerned over the intricate details of where your MCT oil is sourced from and whether the cow that produced your butter was milked within the last three days. Just get some butter and some MCT oil and you’re good!
Why Drink Bulletproof Coffee on a Ketogenic Diet?
By now you’re probably wondering why we’re putting all of these crazy things in our coffee. There’s a number of reasons actually!
Not only are you benefiting from the caffeine in the coffee but you’re also getting an energy burst from the MCT oil. MCT oil is the fastest absorbed oil you can get your hands on, which makes it the perfect addition to coffee.
2. Feel Full
So now you’re super energized and you’re not hungry…think of all you’ll be able to accomplish! With Bulletproof coffee, I find my most productive time of the day to be about an hour after I have my cup.
3. Easily Increase Fat Intake
Some people find it hard to increase their fat intake when starting the keto diet. If you’re feeling hungry between meals or low energy you might want to increase your fat intake and starting your day with a bulletproof coffee is an easy way to do that.
4. Weight Loss
Weight loss is a result of eating in a calorie deficit, which is where bulletproof coffee can come in handy. Most people who are fat-adapted wind up eating less calories throughout the day since they feel full and energized for hours on end. Some people replace their 600 calorie breakfast with a 300-calorie bulletproof coffee, bringing them that much closer to their weight loss goals without feeling hungry or deprived.
How To Make Bulletproof Coffee
This is the easy part. You basically throw everything in a blender and blend it together. I like adding all of the oils in first with the blender set on a food scale so I can make sure I’m tracking my intake properly. A good option that a lot of people on the go will use is a milk frother. These are pretty cheap and do a good job of mixing your keto coffee. Nothing is worse than a poorly mixed coffee with all of the butter and oil sitting on top.
What’s the Carb Count of bulletproof coffee?
Most people prefer their bulletproof coffee to be zero carb, since this keeps insulin low and ensures the body stays in a fat burning zone. This recipe and most other recipes online are zero-carb, but there are a few additions you can add to your bulletproof coffee for more flavor that won’t effect the carb count too much.
Possible Additions for a Ketogenic Diet
There are two schools of thought when it comes to Bulletproof coffee add-ins. You’ve got those who want to turn this drink into a delicious dessert-like treat, and those who want a purely functional fuel source. I tend to fall into the second camp, but let’s take a look at some options here:
Tasty Additions that fit your keto diet
- CinnamonThis is probably the tastiest addition. It combines perfectly with the coffee and butter to give your coffee a great taste while not adding any artificial sweetness.
- Cocoa PowderSome people swear by this, but I’m not sure why. I find cocoa powder makes your Bulletproof coffee unbearably bitter and I’d advise everyone but the most die hard of cocoa fans to avoid this one.
- Stevia DropsIf you want to go the artificial sweetener route this is probably your best choice. A nice liquid keto-friendly sweetener that instantly turns your fatty coffee into dessert without increasing the carb count.
- Sugar Free SyrupsThese are right there with stevia drops. Instead of just sweetness though, these add different flavors to your Bulletproof coffee. I’ve found caramel to go really nicely with the buttery taste of the coffee.
- Brain OctaneWhile I’m a bit skeptical of the claims of “18x more powerful than coconut oil”, this stuff is probably going to have some cognitive benefits when mixed into your bulletproof coffee. Do your research and see if you’re convinced of it’s efficacy.
- Collagen PeptidesThis is something I’ve been adding in lately and I like them so far. Claims of hair/skin/nail improvements as well as 10g of amino acids per serving. Definitely isn’t going to hurt your keto diet to add in.
- Pink SaltThis one walks the line between tasty and functional. I’ve been adding this into my Bulletproof coffee for months now and I’m loving it! I love the taste, and it’s an easy way to get some sodium and trace minerals in on a daily basis. Highly recommended!
Other Keto Drink Recipes
Don’t like coffee? No worries. Megha’s favorite morning drink is a bulletproof chai tea. Not everyone fuels with caffeine, which is why we have a bunch of drink recipes for a keto diet.
All of these are optional and are things you can experiment with after mastering the basic Bulletproof coffee. Comment below and let us know what your favorite additions are so we can add them to the list! If you’re looking for something to pair with your keto coffee for the perfect start to the day give our keto pancakes a try!
Search “Ketoconnect – Bulletproof Coffee” On MyFitnessPal.com
- Brew a cup of coffee using any brewing method you'd like.
- Add butter, MCT oil, and coffee to a blender. Blend on high for 30 seconds. Enjoy.