Thanksgiving is nothing without turkey, pie and low carb stuffing! A delicious keto stuffing recipe packed with notes of thyme, sage, and warming nutmeg. All tucked in with tender cauliflower and juicy sausage crumbles.
FREE PRINTABLE: Keto Food List
Join 150,000 others to get a FREE keto food list and new recipes every week!
We know how important it is to all attendees that the basics be out on the table. Your diet or lifestyle shouldn’t dictate what you can eat. That’s why we vowed to make all the necessary sides this year, ensuring you wouldn’t be missing out. So, whether you’re on a low carb diet or not, this low carb/ keto stuffing recipe will hit the spot and leave you with just enough room to go back for seconds on all the desserts.
We chose to make this keto stuffing with a base of cauliflower instead of keto bread. Many people will buy pre made keto bread which can create somewhat similar stuffings to the original. However we wanted a keto stuffing that was less processed and not filled with artificial fiber. Most keto bread on the market is packed with cheap fibers and low quality oils which can upset your stomach, and cause the moist stuffing to become more rubbery. Even when made into bread cubes the absorption of liquid can cause a chewy texture.
Benefits to Cauliflower
Cauliflower is a cruciferous vegetable that has many benefits. It is packed with fiber and minerals to help aid in digestion and weight management by keeping you fuller longer. Plus just one cup of cauliflower provides “77% of daily vitamin C needs.” As well as provides lots of choline which is vital to help with memory and learning(1).
How to Make Keto Stuffing
Keto stuffing is simple and delicious! A few easy ingredients and only 25 minutes of cooking before you have the perfect thanksgiving stuffing recipe. Plus, a quicker cook time means that there is more time to spend with your family.
Preparing the Sausage
We are going for a beautiful spiced sausage that is packed with flavor and stays moist throughout cooking. For the meat portion of this keto stuffing recipe you will need:
- 1/2 lb ground pork- Make sure you buy a plain pork without sugar, maltodextrin, or seasonings.
- 1/2 tsp Pink Himalayan Salt– we love Himalayan salt for it’s high quality minerals and health benefits
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper– Cayenne adds a nice kick to any stuffing recipe as well as a nice smoky flavor
- 1/2 tsp Paprika– There are many varieties but we think a “sweet” paprika or standard paprika works best
- 1/4 tsp black pepper– Freshly ground gives a solid peppery flavor that stands out among the sage in the cauliflower base
- 1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes– Optional but highly recommended. It is small enough to add a little something without making the sausage too spicy.
Cooking Sausage Crumbles
- Begin by heating a large skillet or large saucepan to medium-high heat. Once warm add the ground sausage, and sausage spices. Break up the sausage with a wooden spoon working to combine all the spices.
- Continue to move around the meat so it evenly cooks. Once fully cooked through and no pink is showing, transfer it a bowl and set aside.
Putting it Together
I put together a couple of tips to help make combining everything easy peasy! Unlike traditional stuffing this does not have keto bread cubes so there is no need to wait 2 hours for the stuffing to bake. Instead of the keto bread we used cauliflower! A chopped cauliflower base makes the perfect sponge to absorb all the extra chicken broth and spices in this keto stuffing. Remaining stuffing ingredients:
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1/2 cup chicken broth – We find chicken broth tastes the best but you can try vegetable broth as well
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 medium white onion, diced
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp fresh parsely, chopped
- 1 tsp Pink Himalayan Salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
Bread-y or not, here I Crumb- Or… Well, Let’s Just Put It Together
- Once the sausage has been cooked, take the same skillet and turn it down to medium heat. Add the butter so it can start melting. Next add in the garlic, onion, and celery, then saute for 2-3 minutes until tender.
- Break the cauliflower up into chunks and add it to a food processor. Pulse a couple times to break down the cauliflower into smaller chunks, but do not rice it.
- Transfer the pulsed cauliflower into the pan and cook for 2 minutes, stirring continuously. Add the remaining seasonings and broth. Combine with a spoon and cover with a lid for five minutes.
- Remove the lid, and add the sausage back in. Cook for an additional 3-5 minutes. The cauliflower should be tender.
- Taste test and add additional salt and pepper as desired. Serve warm and enjoy!
Storing and Saving
If you prefer to make your keto stuffing ahead of time that’s A-Okay! This specific keto stuffing recipe does not have bread which actually benefits you in this case. There is no need to worry about bread getting super soggy or freezer burnt. Below I have compiled a list of storage methods depending on how/ and when you like to do your holiday cooking.
- Make ahead- This keto stuffing recipe can be made ahead and stored in the fridge for 4-5 days. Or place into an airtight container and freeze for up to 2 weeks. Make sure to thaw it from the freezer a day in advance.
- Fridge- Simply place leftovers in the fridge and they last for 4-5 days in an airtight container.
- Freezer Leftovers- Similar to above, store in an airtight container. Not recommended to freeze for longer than 2 weeks as the cauliflower may become too mushy once reheated.
The Best Low Carb Recipes for Thanksgiving!
I’m someone who needs to try everything when I’m at dinner whether it be in my own house or at a restaurant. I want a little of this and a little of that, so that I can properly decide what is my favorite and go back for seconds! If you loved this keto stuffing recipe you’re going to love our other thanksgiving recipes too! We’ve got you covered on everything from sides to dessert:
- Cornbread– Buttery and bread-y just like the original, but made gluten free with coconut flour
- Sweet Potato Casserole – Thick and hearty low carb/ keto sweet potato casserole, topped with a toasted pecan and cinnamon sauce!
- Pecan Pie– Nutty and dense, I’d certainly “piece” out of that holiday party with a slice
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Bites– A creamy vanilla cheesecake base topped with a layer of pumpkin cheesecake so you get all those basic fall vibes!
- Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies– Easily one of my favorites these chewy chocolate chip cookies will have you stealing seconds, or thirds….
Interested in more keto recipes? Explore the pages of our website to find the perfect recipes for you!
Cauliflower And Sausage Low Carb Stuffing
If this years recipes don’t make your keto Thanksgiving dinner a little easier than we haven’t succeeded in our job. That being said, we know we did our job, and did it well. Your night will undoubtedly start with meats, cheeses and some wine, and end with pies and cookies. But, the middle is just as important, and if you’re having turkey you should also be enjoying this low carb stuffing!
Recipe can be quickly added to MyFitnessPal – Search “Ketoconnect – Low Carb Stuffing”
Low Carb Stuffing
What You Need:
- Large Skillet
- Break the cauliflower up into chunks and add it to a food processor. Pulse a couple times to break down the cauliflower into smaller chunks, but do not rice it. Transfer to a bowl a set aside.
- Heat a large skillet or large saucepan to medium-high heat and add the ground sausage. Add the sausage spices and combine using a spoon. Ensure the sausage in all broken up.
- Once fully cooked through, transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Turn down the skillet to medium heat and add the butter. Add in the celery, onion, and garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes until tender.
- Add in the pulsed cauliflower and cook for 2 minutes, stirring continuously. Add the the remaining seasoning and the broth. Combine with a spoon and cover with a lid for five minutes.
- Remove the lid, add the sausage back in and cook through for an additional 3-5 minutes. The cauliflower should be tender.
- Taste test and add additional salt and pepper as desired. Serve warm and enjoy!