After many failed attempts at Low Carb Tortillas we got it down and are now ready to share it with you! What we love most about this recipe is that the pan size dictates how they will be used. Make them in a small pan (like we did) for mini tacos, or make them in a bigger pan to make tortillas for wraps and burritos. They are also thin and low in calorie so you can double them up for a heartier bite. Check out our video below to see how we make them!
Coconut Flour Toritllas
When it comes to making low carb tortillas, we've tried most different flours, from almond flour to oat fiber to ground flax meal. Nothing has worked quite as well as coconut flour has, and since it is so absorbent, less flour is needed to make the batter. Coconut flour also creates a tortilla-like texture and gives off minimal flavor, except for the spices you add to the batter. As my nut allergy has come to light we've been providing more and more coconut flour recipes and it has become our favorite flour to now cook and bake with.
How To Make Tortillas With Two Ingredients
The key to making a tortilla verse a pancake is getting the batter as thin as possible onto the hot skillet. Combing the ingredients is the first step and there is no specific order. Just add and mix well. Really well! Now, when your skillet has fully heated (on low heat) just drop some of the mixture into the center of the skillet. We used a six inch skillet. The amount will depend on your skillet size. As soon as it hits the skillet you want to tilt it on all edges to let the batter spread and cover the entire surface. Wait for it to bubble and cook up (a couple mins). Flip, cook, remove. The more you do it, the better you get!
Low Carb Tortillas
Whether you make tacos or tortillas out of the batter, we have some great fillers for you! Our Mexican Shredded Chicken and Easy Pulled Pork would be great meats to stuff your low carb tortillas with! They would even make for a great snack, but we guarantee whether you make five or one hundred, the low carb tortillas are so good you won't have any leftovers!
Recipe can be quickly added to MyFitnessPal - Search "KetoConnect - Low Carb Tortillas
Low Carb Tortillas
- Add egg whites, coconut flour, baking powder and water in a bowl. Combine well (should be a uniform, watery mixture).
- Optional: add seasonings and mix.
- Heat a skillet (any size you want your tortillas to be) to low heat. Wait until the pan is hot, spray with cooking spray, and drop some of the mixture into the center (i like to use a 1/4 measuring cup).
- As quickly as possible tilt the skillet on all edge to spread the batter as thin as possible. You can always add more in the areas not covered.
- Allow it to cook for a couple minutes until it starts to rise/bubble or you lift it up and the other side has browned. Flip and cook for 1 additional minute.
- Repeat process until all the batter is cooked. The above mixture made 16 small taco sized tortillas for us.
- TIP: If your first tortilla doesn't spread thin enough on the skillet (comes out more like a pancake) add more water to the egg white mixture and mix!