Chicken biryani was one of my favorite Indian dishes growing up. I always ordered it from take it because it combined everything I wanted in one. We've turned a typical high carb dish in this low carb Easy Chicken Biryani dish. We use cauliflower rice as the base, but keep all the favors and textures you would normally find in a restaurant style chicken biryani!
What Can You Use For Low Carb Rice?
I think you already know the answer to that one - cauliflower! At first I was very skeptical. I grew up in an Indian household so chicken biryani was often on the menu along with rice. And, while I felt that nothing could really taste as good or make me enjoy chicken biryani again now that I am keto, I was wrong!!
While this recipe will never out shine actual chicken biryani, it comes very close and is extremely delicious! The major difference is the low carb rice swap of cauliflower for real rice. Give it a try and let us know what you think!
I Am Obsessed With Low Carb Indian Recipes!
Why? Because Indian food is my favorite and for so long I thought I had to give it up. Again, I was wrong because some simple swap out and watching the carb count is all it takes to enjoy Indian food again!
The one we eat the most is our Simple Butter Chicken because Matt always ordered butter chicken and naan when we went out to eat Indian. We've even got Low Carb Naan for you to make and enjoy alongside! My personal favorite, and most underrated is the Chicken Jalfrezi so be sure to give that a try next time you're craving Indian!
Low Carb, Easy Chicken Biryani!
Maybe we're wrong. Maybe this won't in any way shape, form or taste live up to restaurant style, rice based chicken biryani, but now you've got the option to find out! We don't want you to feel restricted in your food choices or scared of certain foods like whole milk yogurt (used in this recipe). You'll be surprised with how good this recipe is, and you'll be craving this easy chicken biryani again before you know it!
Recipe can be quickly added to MyFitnessPal - Search "KetoConnect - Easy Chicken Biryani"
Easy Chicken Biryani
- 1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cubed
- 3/4 cup whole milk yogurt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1.5 tsp Pink Himalayan Salt
- 1.5 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and sliced (optional)
- 6 cups fresh riced cauliflower
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped plus more for garnish
- Combine yogurt, garlic, ½ teaspoon salt, spices, and lemon juice in a medium bowl and whisk well. Stir in chicken cubes, cover, and marinate for 2-24 hours.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat, then add half of the chicken to the skillet. Cook until browned, about 5 minutes, flipping occasionally. Remove to a plate and repeat with remaining chicken, adding butter if necessary. Remove chicken from skillet to a bowl and set aside.
- Turn the heat down to medium-low and add 2 more tbsp of butter. Add the sliced onions and allow to cook, stirring occasionally, until very tender and slightly caramelized, about 10 minutes.
- Melt remaining butter (2 tbsp), then stir in jalapeno (if using), cauliflower rice, and season with remaining salt. Cook, stirring until cauliflower rice is tender and any liquid has evaporated, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the chicken and fresh cilantro into the skillet and combine, heating through the chicken, about 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately with a garnish of fresh cilantro. Enjoy!
- <b>Note:</b> The chicken on it's own is also a great recipe to meal prep and add to salads or quickly cook up another side of veggies for lunch/dinner if you don't want to make the entire recipe!
Serving Size: 1/4th recipe