We've created the ultimate dessert recipe and another of Matts favorites with our Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake. Insert the word 'lava' anywhere because this cake will be oozing with peanut butter lava once you dig in! It's a simple cake to make, but we wanted to go ahead and make a recipe video for you anyway. The best part of making recipe videos is that we always make two. One for the video itself and one for photography, which meant I had the chance to indulge in this cake twice already!
Prior to keto my family often ordered the lava cake for dessert at any restaurant that offered it, and I always wondered how they made it! As I piled the cake and lava into my mouth, I would think to myself, "this isn't even possible for a regular person like me to make." However, I was wrong. I figured it out and it's as easy as you might think - cook it just long enough so the outside is firm and the center is basically liquid. Liquid gold.
We Like To Call It A Reeses Cake!
This cake is like a massive reeses cup just waiting for you to take a bite. And, since you get to dictate how much peanut butter goes in you can make it exactly like the candy with basically a 4 to 1 ratio of peanut butter to chocolate. We first made the cake without the frozen peanut butter disc, but once we made it and tried it a second time we knew it was almost vital in the process of maximizing the PB lava in this recipe. You don't have to be all fancy with a cookie cutter though, saran wrap will do just fine for making a ball or any shape for that matter!
Chocolate peanut Butter Cake
We know this is a very decadent dessert, and definitely not an everyday recipe, but we knew it had to be done. However, if this is a bit over the top for your liking you might want to give our Low Carb Truffles and Protein Cake a try, which are on the lower end of calories and carbs! We know that most of you are reeses fans, or chocolate and peanut butter fans at the very least, so if you want to relive your days of enjoying reeses cups (without resorting to the sugar free ones which contain malitol) you should make our Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake!
Recipe can be quickly added to MyFitnessPal - Search "KetoConnect - Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake"
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake
- Optional Make Ahead: In our video we made a frozen peanut butter disc to optimize peanut butter to chocolate ratio and it's also perfectly melty when you cut into the cake. You can also choose to dollop in 2-3 tbsp of peanut butter right into the middle.**To increase sweetness you may want to add 5 drops of stevia to the peanut butter.
- Combine bakers chocolate and butter and melt in a microwave safe bowl in bursts of 30 seconds.
- Add cream, egg and stevia drops to the chocolate and butter mixture. Set aside.
- Combine all dry ingredients: erythritol, coco powder, coconut flour and baking powder in a separate bowl.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until you get a smooth uniform thick batter.
- Pour half the batter into your greased ramekin or springform pan. We use a 4" springform pan for this.
- Place the peanut butter right in the center without allowing it to run to the edges.
- Pour the second half over the peanut butter.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for 13-15 minutes.
- You'll know it's done when the edges have firmed and the center is still a little jiggly/not fully cooked seeming.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!